• Breaking News

    Tuesday, June 9, 2020

    Assassin's Creed Community Discussion — The setting of Assassin's Creed Valhalla | Mentors Guild

    Assassin's Creed Community Discussion — The setting of Assassin's Creed Valhalla | Mentors Guild


    Community Discussion — The setting of Assassin's Creed Valhalla | Mentors Guild

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 06:34 AM PDT

    Hi all,

    This week's Community Discussion is about the setting of Assassins Creed Valhalla!

    MAKING SURE THE FANS ARE HEARD

    As part of a set of Community Initiatives, we'd like to give opportunities to the community to give more direct feedback, as part of that initiative, we will host discussion on specific topics that relate the Assassin's Creed Franchise. These community discussions will take place on the AC subreddit, the Official Ubisoft Forums, and on the Mentors Guild Twitter. These discussions will be open for 1 week. The threads and responses will be shared directly with the Assassin's Creed Community Development team, who will then pass that info on to concerned parties within Ubisoft itself.

    While the Mentors get opportunities to speak directly with the creators of Assassin's Creed and frequently communicate with the Community Development Team, this is not the case for every fan. We want to change that. We want fans to have their voices heard directly, in the same ways the Mentors do. These activities are a step towards meeting this goal. If you want Ubisoft to see what you have to say, this is the place to do it.

    THIS WEEK'S TOPIC

    Topic: The setting of Assassin's Creed Valhalla

    Info: Assassin's Creed Valhalla takes place in 9th century England, and Norway, most specifically the kingdoms of North Umbria, East Anglia, Wessex, and Mercia. Alfred the Great rules the kingdom of Wessex and is the only king to successfully fend off the continuous attacks of the Viking peoples. Eivor, the protagonist, is Viking Clan leader, and is looking for a place to call home for their people. Rolling hills, snowy cliffs, shallow rivers, and dense forests cover this chaotic land.

    QUESTIONS TO CONSIDER:

    -Are you excited for this setting? If so what has you most excited?

    -Does this setting fit well within the universe of AC?

    -Are you interested in featuring the religious cultures that dominated the cultures of the land? Norse Paganism, and Christianity?

    -Have the trailers shown a world that looks aesthetically pleasing? Why or why not?

    -What are your thoughts on the phrase "A Viking experience in the world of Assassin's Creed"?

    -What concerns do you have for the setting?

    -What do you want to see more of from the setting?

    -Was this a setting you were hoping to see from the franchise?

    As always, please feel free to add any thoughts you might have that are not covered by these example questions!

    REMEMBER:

    While these discussions are meant to allow for honest and raw feedback directly from the community, the best way to ensure your voice is heard is to be constructive - be critical of the process, not the people. Be specific with your criticisms and suggest tangible solutions and improvements. We hope to see active participation and that this will be a successful way of getting the fans' voices truly heard.

    submitted by /u/TheMentorsGuild
    [link] [comments]

    oc - Cold War American Assassin’s insignia

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 03:23 PM PDT

    (Spoilers) kind of bummed the spear of Leonidas never turned into the "first hidden blade". Think it would've been a fantastic way to join odyssey and origins

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 07:12 AM PDT

    I'll start off by acknowledging a lot of people don't like the spear. I had my moments but I thought it would be worth it. I swore that by end game it would be converted into a hidden blade. I feel like Ubi missed the opportunity to give the spear a proper send off by replacing the blade in Darius's first hidden blade with the spear tip at the end of the game. Or at least created a hidden blade out of it for alexios/kassandra. I think it would've been a cool way to tie origins and odyssey together. The shape of the blade looks a lot like bayeks hidden blade. I dunno I just always thought from the beginning of odyssey that this is actually going to be a hidden blade by the end of the game and not just be some ISU tech but I was mistaken. By the end its just a useless relic. But yeah rant over lol

    submitted by /u/ScottieBones217
    [link] [comments]

    Goodbye Borgia guard (fanart)

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 01:55 PM PDT

    How exactly is Odyssey not a true AC game?

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 11:10 PM PDT

    Ever since the game released I've heard sooo many complaints about how it's not a real AC game, how it's the least AC the series has ever been and whatnot...
    Personally I'd been a little tired of the series after Unity; didn't play any game after it until a while after release. But while I thought Syndicate and Origins were fine, I'm having an absolute blast with Odyssey right now! And the main reason for that is because of the Cult of Kosmos, which makes it the most AC the series has been in a long, long time for me.

    When AC1 first appeared, the main idea of the game, the way it was marketed during development was that you were an assassin who had to find their target through clues discovered throughout the cities, to find out where they'd be and when so you could go in for the kill and then haul ass outta there while the city went on lockdown. We ended up getting that in a way but it was mostly scripted and the series has striven for true freedom ever since (or at least after things got a little too restricted in AC3). Unity even doubled down on it with more elaborate scenarios for every target but it still wasn't quite it.

    And now we have a game built around the Cult of Kosmos, which basically delivers on AC1's promise and then some; an entire system of 44 targets that you have to uncover yourself through clues discovered throughout the game world, to find out who they are, where they will be and when so you can strike as you see fit. It's done in such a dynamic way that in some cases you could even discover and assassinate your targets in the world outside of their questlines. And I like how story-wise it's done in such a way that anyone that you meet could be a Cultist. Overall it really makes you feel like you yourself are slowly uncovering and taking out an entire cult one by one, instead of the story doing that for you.

    Yet I've never heard anyone talk about this awesome system since the game released; I discovered it by just playing the game. Instead all I hear about is the lack of a hidden blade (not even the mechanic, just the visual) and how Kassandra/Alexios is a warrior, not an assassin. I don't even agree with this since apart from social stealth, all the core elements that were always there are still there. I'd argue especially the stealth is some of the best the series has had so far (let's face it, the stealth in AC1>AC3 has always kinda sucked). I can still ghost most areas; in and out without anyone ever spotting me. All we have now are more options!
    I even hear people say that the story has nothing to do with AC, which I also don't understand. Sure it takes place before the whole Assassins vs. Templars conflict but this story seems to really be about the First Civilization, who have always been important throughout the series.

    I think only getting hung up on hidden blades and white robes and other trivial stuff does a huge disservice to this great game and even the series as a whole.

    submitted by /u/Aphex_Tim
    [link] [comments]

    I am excited about the base building potential of Valhalla

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 10:36 PM PDT

    I had a lot of fun building up my town as Ezio and seeing it grow as I did and I feel it would be a complete loss if we wasn't able to build up a home base or a town that we return to a lot. Also I just wanna build a Longhouse so impressive, Beowulf would poop his pants. You don't even have to make it a requirement, like maybe allow people to auto progress their base if they don't want to do it or don't make upgrades or other stuff dependent on whether you upgrade the town or not so people don't resent it. I just think it'd be cool to customize my own town/base/longhouse even if it's all purely cosmetic.

    submitted by /u/Ofthefjord
    [link] [comments]

    The Real Reason People Don’t Like Odyssey’s Camera

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 09:57 AM PDT

    I see a lot of people say that they hope Valhalla will return to Origins's camera, or that they find Odyssey's camera "immersion-breaking". Most people seem to say that the reason they don't like the camera in Odyssey is because it is too zoomed-out and far away from the character.

    I think the real reason people don't like Odyssey's camera is because it orbits around the character's head instead of their body.

    You can see in Odyssey that the camera is centered around Kassandra's head even when standing still on the ground. It's the camera's default position in Odyssey. Yes, this does mean that the camera needs to zoom out a little so the character's entire body can fit on-screen, but I don't think this zoom is enough to make a real difference to most people. I think the positioning is much more noticeable.

    Compare that with Origins, where when the player is running on the ground the camera is centered around the center of Bayek's chest. Origins actually does zoom out and move the camera higher when on rooftops to help the player see when jumping around, though the center is still within Bayek's torso.

    Personally I didn't mind the camera in Odyssey at all, though if I had to choose I do prefer the way it is in Origins. Hopefully this can shed a little light on the conversation though.

    submitted by /u/Tabnet
    [link] [comments]

    In regards to when Ezio sees Altair

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 07:45 PM PDT

    We've all seen how Ezio can see Altair during his time in Masyaf but did Altair choose when he wanted to be manifested kinda like a Force ghost from Star Wars did Altair see Ezio was in Trouble and lost on the side of the castle and decided to show him where to go or did Ezio just see what Altair did in the past and mimic what he did

    submitted by /u/redjoe112
    [link] [comments]

    Should we got another AC protagonist that sticks around for more than one title?

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 10:24 PM PDT

    I know the main argument against it, which is that it would be difficult to have interesting places and eras if you have to link them all to one singular character. That's a pretty good argument, but I have an idea that I'll save for the end.

    Really though I think the best argument for having a main AC protagonist that sticks around for several titles is because Ezio did it, and he's not only the most widely known about AC character, but also one of the most revered and loved in all of video gaming. We've certainly had some very likable assassin's since Ezio. I personally really like Edward and Bayek. However, I can't help but feel like they would have been improved if they had stuck around for multiple games.

    How could this be accomplished though while continuously making interesting time period the center focus? Well, my idea is to use first one technology to preserve the main protagonist. The MC from Odyssey did this, so the technology definitely exists. Plus, First Ones can see through time with their sixth sense. So in order to link important events, perhaps the First Ones set up a scenario in which at the ending of the first game the MC assassins goes into a sort of stasis to be brought ought when they're needed to perform an important task.

    Anyway, that's my thoughts.

    submitted by /u/WackyJaber
    [link] [comments]

    AC Odyssey is one of the best games I've ever played

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 11:50 PM PDT

    So I bought this game in EGS sale, at first I was kinda worried about the 45/55 fps i was getting. But after some time playing (3ish hours), mate, that doesn't matter, this game is one of the best ones ive played, if not the best. every single aspect of it makes me feel so great. I love this game honestly.

    submitted by /u/I-CantBelieveMyEyes
    [link] [comments]

    As someone that is playing the original Assassin's Creed from 2007 for the very first time, I am really impressed with it's graphics

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 08:02 AM PDT

    I wish I was able to take Screenshots (can't use F12 because I got it over Uplay), as this games scenery and general landscapes really hold up pretty well! A bit dark in the early going, but even there the games graphics, also on the characters, looks really really good knowing that it's 13 years old already. Just reached the Kingdom and it's been a lotta fun thus far!

    submitted by /u/niclaswwe
    [link] [comments]

    Playing Assassin's Creed Unity for the first time and I've already broken it

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 01:49 PM PDT

    I literally just got my assassin outfit and after the tutorial about skills, I'm scrolling through missions in the Progress Tracker. I find these "co op" heist missions and they're advertising tons of cash rewards.

    So, of course, I get tempted and I start up the most difficult heist "Belongs in a Museum." And it was easy! I got killed once trying to find the damn painting, (it spawned on the ground floor), but on my second try I got it. Cherry bombs for the brutes, smoke bombs for everyone inside. I was out of there before they knew it was gone. And it gave me 70k instead of 25.

    Of course, I upgraded the shit out of the cafe, got myself some nice gear and already completed all the cafe missions. I did the same heist again, and got another 70k. This game is great!

    Really loving it so far. I hate how we got the Witcher 3 clones with Odyssey and Origins....Unity really felt old school and memories of how I used to run around rooftops with Ezio came back to me.

    submitted by /u/Kronos099904
    [link] [comments]

    I realized that both Assassin's creed 3 and far cry 3 start with the same quote

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 05:55 AM PDT

    The Secrets of London and Helix Glitch maps in Syndicate are obvious greed.

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 06:20 AM PDT

    Today I have officially given up on trying to get the platinum in Syndicate, because after 100% syncing the whole main story, then collecting chests, flowers and illustrations, I realised I still need the glitches and secrets of London.

    So I visit a vendor, but there are no maps. That's weird, I could have sworn there were. But it turns out that there are, 1,000 Helix Credits for each map. Okay, no big deal, I guess I can just grind out social glitches until I have enough.

    But nope, the social glitch service is offline. So all I can do at this point is spend real money for something that could have been implemented into the game so easily but, seemingly out of greed, wasn't.

    I know people say I can use an online guide, but in my opinion that's besides the point. A game shouldn't be developed and released with the only way of you 100% completing it without a third-party source is to spend more money.

    There's also the argument of just searching for the glitches without a map, while that is possible, there is an absurd amount of them and I honestly feel like it was done to incentivise players to buy a map.

    I know the game is old now, but this is my first experience trying to 100% it and honestly, the greed was baffling.

    submitted by /u/Anxious_Creature
    [link] [comments]

    Spoilers!!! I finished Odyssey and all the DLC today!

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 05:27 PM PDT

    And it sucked! Have I been conned? Am I on Punk'D? Why hasn't Ashton jumped out from behind my couch yet? I do not understand how some people say this is the best of the series. Origins was superior in every way except Naval battles. When I finished the main storyline before DLC, I actually scoffed and was like "oh, that was it? Maybe it's the DLC that's better." Nope. Atlantis was like "wtf is actually happening. Spear knowledge comes from Heaven, Hell, and Atlantis shenanigans?" The Legacy of The First Blade should've been the entire game! It's the only part that I even cared about anything. I loved the story to this series and ever since the Shroud came into play in Syndicate, I've hoped they would revive Desmond. Instead I found myself asking the entire time while playing Odyssey, what is the point of Odyssey? Like, I literally didn't take anything away from that story, other than, "Layla finds spear! Now Layla finds Staff! Tune in next game to see what else she finds!" I'm just so absolutely disappointed. I have gripes about Origins and others, but this game seemed to excessively deal my expectations killing blows every time I saw a heart on a conversation. Who cares who we can have sex with?! But then the makers just threw gasoline on a fire and now I understand why people were pissed about being forced to be with another and have a baby. No choices felt like they had any weight. I just did not see how this game surpasses a 7 out of 10, and what people loved so much about it. Origins is prettier. Unity plays better. Syndicate had a cooler aesthetic(I felt like this game severely lacked in style). I just don't get it. Why the hell did I just waste 93 hours to see Aya jump off the Sphinx at the end? I could've just replayed Origins! I also sincerely feel like this game would've been so much better if you played as Darius and followed his story from start to finish, taking place before he split with his buddy, all the way to the same finishing line. Even Barnabas would've been better! At least he's entertaining

    submitted by /u/TimmyinTucson
    [link] [comments]

    I got my "summary of choices" from AC odyssey just now and

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 05:42 PM PDT

    And its cool and all but i dont like how the game counts it as killing someone if you knock them out and recruit them.>! I didn't choose to kill stentor when we fought but afterwards when he was a merc i knocked him out, added him to my crew but the summary says i killed him :(!<

    submitted by /u/Anonymusous
    [link] [comments]

    A true remaster collection of all AC games for PS5/One X in one package please

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 05:03 PM PDT

    Someone may have mentioned this already. However really upgrade the graphics on all games for the next gen of consoles. AND fix bugs. I know PS4 games will run on the PS5 (not sure about Xbox).

    Remaster AC1. Drop the "can't swim" stupidity. I think there was a "director's cut" for PC that had more options and mission variety. Do that. Also include Bloodlines and Altair's Chronicles.

    II, Brotherhood and Revelations. Include Discovery. All DLC. Make memories in II replayable. Make combat more damaging. Ezio is a damn tank even without the ultimate armor in each game.

    III and Liberation. All DLC.

    Black Flag was far more bugged than a lot of people noticed. Not game breaking like Unity was at launch, just a lot of minor bugs that were irritating. Fix those. Include all the DLC including the MacFarlane figure content and the other stuff. I think Schick and Dr Pepper had some exclusive content as well. Plus Freedom Cry.

    Rogue and all DLC.

    Unity with a final coat of polish to smooth things out. Plus all DLC including the Fleur de Lys sword. And scale back the co-op missions so they can be much more manageable single player. Only play once to unlock the 3 gear pieces.

    Syndicate plus all DLC.

    Origins and Odyssey plus all DLC. Including the damn pay-for gear packs.

    Toss in the 3 Chronicles games for good measure.

    That's 18 games bug fixed and upgraded with the most modern graphics. And some side titles playable on console for the very first time.

    I'd buy that. Not sure for how much though.

    submitted by /u/normaldude37
    [link] [comments]

    A good way to experience AC1

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 10:05 PM PDT

    Due to Sony's Days of Play sale I got the ezio collection and rogue for very cheap and none every AC game besides AC1 on PS4. I'm excited to dive into the ezio trilogy since I've never played it before but I know Altair plays an important role in Revelations. Is there a reccomended YouTube series or a way for me to understand Altair to the best of my ability as a character before diving inky that stuff?

    submitted by /u/BigBobBuysBoats
    [link] [comments]

    Phobos running about my speed

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 04:26 PM PDT

    I've experienced calling Phobos while running and me trying to have him run up next to me so I can hop on mid-lunge, and it taking a full minute sometimes for him to get up next to me. Why do I need a horse that runs about my speed unless they're in a full run(which maybe you can inform me of the perfect conditions needed because Phobos will be full blown lazy as hell sometimes). In fact, why do I not have a dedicated button to make Phobos run faster? I would so much rather have my whistle make me magically appear on the horse than play ring around the shrubbery for 20 seconds trying to get on the damned horse!

    submitted by /u/TimmyinTucson
    [link] [comments]

    A Completionist’s Epiphany: AC Syndicate is living proof that Ubisoft is wasting the series’ potential

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 01:35 PM PDT

    Quick warning, the upcoming wall of text is all just an opinion, I don't expect everyone to agree with me and I welcome both feedback and opposing points of view, just keep it civil. TL;DR at the bottom.

    During quarantine I decided to put myself through one of the most painstaking processes in my time playing Assassin's Creed games, I decided I was going to get 100% synchronization in both Unity and Syndicate as well as all achievements.

    Turns out the whole thing wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be and I actually came out the other side with a completely different vision of the Assassin's Creed franchise and a little disappointed by Ubisoft's lack of brand awareness.

    The Retrospective: Unity

    During my completionist run on Unity, there was a lot I loved:

    • Visually the game was astonishing; lighting, colors, film grain and the overall look was realistic enough to feel inmmersive.
    • The new game mechanics they were trying out this time around were very interesting, being able to snap to surfaces for cover kills or hiding around corners added a thin but needed layer of depth to stealth that I welcomed.
    • Arno's story was engaging and the many twists and turns the murder conspiracy took were very enjoyable.
    • The new Assassination Mission system felt fresh and I loved the Distraction or Infiltration Opportunities.
    • "Unity" the musical rendition of "Ezio's Family" is absolute fire.
    • While the Modern Day story took the backseat, it was interesting and tied well with the overall plot of the Memories.
    • The parkour was stylized and fluent, controlled ascends and descends felt amazing.

    But just as there was a lot to love, there was a lot to hate:

    • While useful, the snap-to-surface mechanic was inaccurate and buggy.
    • The UI felt like entering into a sketchy website without adblocker, everything had a tip, reminder, message or tutorial popping up.
    • While ambitious, the skill tree progression model was a mess that dragged the feeling of improvement, sometimes even feeling underwhelming.
    • The wide selection of armour and weapon combinations felt overwhelming until you scratched the surface and realized not all were that useful and you could just save up for the Legendary stuff rather than actually progressing through the different tiers of gear.
    • The multiplayer side of the game was boring, did not encourage teamplay and was artificially made more difficult to stall progress.
    • Combat had a lot going for it compared to previous entries but ultimately still felt unresponsive and limited by the game's own mechanics. Want to finish a conflict quickly? Throw a smoke bomb and be done with it.
    • Collectibles wasn't that bad, what made them terrible was two things: Time Savers and Lock Picking.
    • Mission challenges didn't always feel fit for the mission, sometimes requiring that you sacrificed your playstyle for a 100% mission synchronization.
    • "Unity" is the only good track in the game, the rest are so similar to one another, I ended up turning off music during my completionist run because it started to feel like torture.
    • Parkour was fun, but free running was an absolute chaos and sometimes the environments could feel very claustrophobic, some of my favorite areas in the map stand out because they feature wide roads, open spaces or a more challenging climbing layout.
    • The game's button layout lacked any intuition. No one told you half the stuff you could do in the game and you were sometimes just expected to know things.
    • I completed the main story thrice with only Phantom Blades, Smoke Bombs, a Pistol and a Sword. The rest of consumables didn't peak my interest until they were required for a challenge, otherwise felt useless.
    • This might me nitpicking but… Arno buys a crap ton of Cafés around the map and they never have an impact on anything, they just increase income, give you boring/ repetitive missions and the same three songs downstair in a loop.
    • While crowded, the world of Unity doesn't feel lived in, it feels more like watching animatronics in an amusement park ride. There's like five different activities, four different attire looks for both male and female models and that's that. Of course, you can encounter some different characters but they are so rare you'll probably miss them if you aren't paying attention.

    Yeah, I get it, my list of things I hate about Unity is a pretty healthy one, but I enjoyed my three playthroughs a lot anyways and I can see myself returning for a fourth in a few years when the nostalgia kicks in again. The magic about Unity, compared to its predecessors, that it was trying new things as well as bringing a pretty solid Assassin Tragedy that'd recommend any day.

    A step forward: Syndicate

    When it was all said and done and I read "100% synchronization" on Unity's progress tracker, the first thing I did was install Syndicate to start all over. This game, brought revelations to me (pun intended).

    Syndicate was a satisfying improvement over Unity:

    • The awful snap-to-surface had been reworked and felt natural and easy to use.
    • UI elements had been made smaller or far more subtle, with tutorials, tips or indications being brief, discreet and far apart.
    • The gear upgrades were simpler, requiring only a few clicks to make a difference between a level 1 Assassin Gauntlet and a level 2.
    • Both the skill tree and the progression system were simplified. Skill points were easily obtainable and skills made a tangible difference in playstyle.
    • I was thankful the co-op and heist online modes had disappeared.
    • Combat felt more fluent and engaging, I've compared it over the years to the Batman Arkham series in a good way, since it makes you feel like you can take on larger groups of enemies and still feel like it's an unfair match… for them. Blocking, staggering, counter shooting, bullet-dodging and finishers made you feel like a true Assassin trained for the situation.
    • Collectibles were improved on, now you could buy maps from vendors to have all locations revealed on the map and just hunt away. Also, the lock picking mini-game was gone for good, making the entire process of clearing chests far simpler. Admittedly, Helix Glitches and Secrets of London were still locked behind a paywall but there are thousands of guides online to find them all, ideally this shouldn't have to happen but we are talking about the same publisher that slowed down XP earnings in Odyssey to boost Time Savers sales so...
    • Mission Challenges saw an improvement and rather than adding additional chores to your mission, added small feats that intervened less with your playstyle (with some exceptions, specially on Assassination Missions).
    • I have yet to find an instrumental piece of music on this game that I hate, "Family", the musical rendition of "Ezio's Family" is out of this world, but then you listen to hits like "Take Your Bow, Knave", "Underground", "London Is Waiting", "For Those We Loved" and "Top Hats and Sword Cranes" and you can feel the setting, the tone and the character's personalities expressed through every song. By the way, if you liked Syndicate's soundtrack, you should definitely check out more of Austin Wintory's work, his Banner Saga soundtracks are out of this world as well as his work with Journey and Abzu.
    • I appreciate the new free running that requires no extra button pressing and has more natural animations. The wider roads and taller buildings create a cooler parkour jungle that I loved exploring, parks are amazing and driving (while simple) adds a cool layer of functionality by being able to hop on roofs, hide inside of them or by allowing you to bring allies to certain missions.
    • Button layout now make sense, button combos are gone and everything happens just by following simple prompts that explain everything, leaving no room to misinterpretation or complete ignorance.
    • Tools felt more useful than last time around, they still are pretty circumstantial but at least now the level design creates circumstances in which they were actually useful.
    • Improving the Rooks has an impact on the game world, from having a larger friendly NPC presence, cops ignoring your crimes, to Blighters being scared of you. Taking on strongholds also creates friendly hotspots across the map that you can flee to and in many missions, taking in a small group of Rooks to distract enemies is very useful.
    • London is still crowded, and NPCs have a ton of interesting interactions, children playing ball (and sometimes apologizing if they don't pass the ball right); two friends meeting in the park and one telling the other they are getting married; a lady new to the city asking for directions to the nearest train station; two drunks singing their hearts out while walking down the street late at night; a guy cleaning a chimney on the roofs that gets startled if you walk by them; people getting angry at you for pushing them or even pushing you if you enter their home unannounced; there's also simpler changes in attire according to the district's wealth, and role of the NPC. Models are still limited but the wealth of new interactions makes it bearable.

    Revelations

    The great revelation I got from Syndicate was that we were on the right path to improvement. Unity was supposed to be a generational leap in both graphics and formula, Syndicate reflects this perfectly, it is probably the best update Unity could have ever gotten. Is it perfect? By no means, but the Original Assassin's Creed doesn't feel perfect next to any of the Ezio Trilogy titles because the formula was constantly being worked on.

    I know a lot of people hated Syndicate's story but I feel like it was a nice change of pace. Considering Unity went full Baguette Batman, a more lighthearted story about two twins taking down a Templar Empire in the heart of London that tries to go for more of a youthful approach (fitting both Jacob's and Evie's personalities) was the right direction. This is not so much a story of conspiracy as it is a story of proving yourself, defining your strengths and creating bonds.

    Also, while not stellar, the Modern Day story ended on a hell of a cliffhanger with the Phoenix Project and Juno.

    The aforementioned complaint about the main story usually also extends to dialogue, but I felt that the wit and sass really added to the relationship of the two twinss, one I felt specially connected to since I have a sister with whom I share a very similar relationship.

    When weighted one against the other, Syndicate was offering a much more complete experience than Unity, adding new stuff like the Kidnap or Grapple mechanics and bringing back others like Whistling or Carrying Bodies.

    Overall Syndicate felt like the devs talking to the community, a sort of "we listened so here's what we learned from Unity".

    Learning goes haywire and I have more questions than answers

    However, the jump from Syndicate to Origins sends a vastly different message from the devs, it is no longer about improving on what was built, but rather on selling a different experience.

    If you like Origins and Odyssey, that's great, because that means the game was made for you, but to me, both felt like I was no longer the target audience.

    The purpose of the game went from stealth heavy gameplay to sword fighting and doing secondary missions to level up so your hidden blade actually kills an enemy. These are all very reminiscent from Unity, is like they took the elements from that game that bored or frustrated me and decided to amplify them.

    Somewhere on the process of becoming "better" we became The Assassin 3: Wild Hunt, with both of the main mechanics of the classic formula taking the backseat.

    I don't think this will change, both Origins and Odyssey proved to be financial successes and Valhalla is gearing up to be a pretty exciting journey that I'm confident will do great in the market.

    But I cannot help but wonder: Are they not seeing the obvious? Is Ubisoft, the lord of monetization, missing the beat on one of its greatest advantages?

    With the new direction the games have taken, the community has somewhat been divided into two groups, those who like the new entries, and those who feel more inclined toward the older adventures.

    However, the current AC market only answers to the former, leaving the latter to sustain itself only through the slow stream of Remasters they are putting out. With the latest one, AC 3, being a complete rework of the game to fit next gen and higher end computers.

    Ubi likes money, right?

    This leads to the obvious, if you have two communities, and studios working on two titles. Why not put out two Assassin Creed games? I'm not even talking about simultaneous releases, for all I care they could be years apart. I'm talking about making profit from the two audiences you have.

    If Ubisoft wanted to, they could create a team that could take all the lessons learned with Syndicate, Origins and Odyssey and bring back a revamped formula that still preserved a focus on Stealth and Parkour, exploring completely different settings to those of the RPG series, telling other Modern Day Stories that maybe fill in the gaps of the Phoenix Project and Juno's defeat or tell brand new ones.

    They could feature returns, or even epilogues to already existing entries, like showing us an older Arno, that riddled by grief, finally decides to hunt down his father's killer; or maybe a game focused on Elise's secret trip to London; perhaps telling a fully fledged story of the Brotherhood in India; or seeing an older Edward Kenway fighting the Templars off of London while he worries every day more about his son, who questions the vision of the Creed.

    These are all smaller stories, with smaller maps, that offer experiences surrounded by the classic elements we have grown so close to.

    This type of games don't require to be in a constant competition to be three times the size of the last entry, or a complicated loot pool or even a leveling system that limits stealth assassinations. What makes this type of games great is that they don't outstay their welcome, they share a story that furthers a Modern Day plot, conclude their adventure, and hopefully setup the next one.

    The more focus on story the best for us, take Marvel's Spider-Man as an example, the main story is pretty lengthy because it was extensively worked on, every second is fun and engaging, all without sacrificing the fun element of the free roam.

    To conclude

    Syndicate showed us improvement and areas of opportunities, it's an example of what the series could have been and could still be. It was working on setting up the future of the classic formula, even applying new mechanics that could have been incredibly useful on future titles. Additionally, they proved that Assassination Missions and Unique Kills still had a lot of room to grow and provide fun in a smaller scale. Origins and Odyssey also have lot of lessons to share, many which could be applied to the classic formula. More importantly, if done correctly, I thinks fans would embrace the dual series if it was properly explained how they were different, perhaps insuring a safe future for the long forgotten core of the series.

    TL; DR

    Through a journey in which I replayed AC Unity and Syndicate, I realized there was a tangible road to improvement that Ubisoft decided to get rid off in favor of an entire new formula without realizing they were dividing parts of the community into two groups of people that either enjoyed the new RPG formula or preferred to stay with the classic one. Despite Ubi's efforts to remaster their series, they are missing the potential of working on smaller-sized projects that appeal to those who don't feel comfortable with the recent titles; they just need to take another look at what worked with Syndicate, what they have learned from newer titles and craft smaller, more story-focused games that feel like good ol' Assassin's Creed.

    submitted by /u/FigZer0
    [link] [comments]

    Significance of the feather in AC:Origins

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 01:50 PM PDT

    After every assassination the cutscene starts where Bayek is talking to the target, and at the end he uses a feather to make them disappear. Is there any significance around that that I just didn't pick up earlier in the story(around lvl 20 so if it's something I learn later in the game please don't spoil:)).

    submitted by /u/hunterlosey77
    [link] [comments]

    What Would the Anomaly Periods be Called if They Were Full Games?

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 09:28 PM PDT

    I'm currently playing Syndicate and while playing the Lydia segment I started wondering what her game would be called. Same goes for Jacques de Molay from Unity and the Belle Époque and Occupied France segments.

    submitted by /u/ldboy1990
    [link] [comments]

    The RPG mechanics present in recent games are immersion breaking and poorly handled.

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 11:51 AM PDT

    I recently started replaying AC Origins, which is one of my favorite games in the franchise, but coming back to it years later I feel more conscious of its shortcomings. The biggest problem that I noticed with the game was how much less immersive it felt than previous entries. The constant onslaught of weapons you receive when maybe 1/10 you'll actually use I found incredibly distracting and immersion breaking. The constant pop-ups and amount of time spent in menus halts the games speed, and that issue only compounds with Odyssey. As much as I respect these games for the grand worlds they've built and stories they've told, I feel like the RPG mechanics really bog down the immersion and fluidity of gameplay.

    I understand that AC is not the most immersive or grounded gaming franchise, but in the last two entries it seems that it's almost entirely gone out the window. AC Odyssey and Origins aren't built like the memories of long dead heroes pitted in conflicts between freedom and control, they feel like typical RPGs with overcrowded maps and dull side quests. When I began replaying Origins I tried to do every quest, complete every location, and find every treasure because the world is so massive and interesting. I spent several hours of my first session just messing around in Siwa. But as the game progresses I just find myself not caring. Few of the side quests are exceptionally memorable and more often than not I only do them to fill up my XP bar until I'm the level of the next story mission. It's such a shame that in a game where the characters, setting, and story are some of the best the series has seen (especially in recent years) that so much of the game feels sort of like filler. All the side quests are at least somewhat thought out and interesting, but usually my favorite part about them is how short they are.

    From what we've heard so far it sounds like Valhalla is fixing most of my problems with the RPG mechanics, but I can't help feel worn out on the numbers and random modifiers that don't make the game that much more fun. I just hope that Valhalla can maintain the feeling of a grounded Assassin experience, but I worry that the story will follow Ashraf's pattern of introducing all the Assassin stuff in the third act (not that this is necessarily bad, it works for the games that it's in but I feel like we've seen it enough already). Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/CrimsonRaids85
    [link] [comments]

    Mercenary just died by themself

    Posted: 09 Jun 2020 12:44 AM PDT

    So I was fighting this level 85 mercenary while I'm level 56 because why not it seemed like a fun challenge. He still had a pretty good amount of health left but after climbing up to a cliff looking for me he just died?? Idk if he fell or not but I was about to sneak up on him and the sign "this mercenary has been defeated" just popped up so I'm extremely confused and I go down the cliff and there's his body. I barely did anything??

    submitted by /u/seoullite626
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment